Last Friday of January


Gain New Blog FollowersFollow Friday  is hosted by Alison Can Read and this week's qst is: 


Which book genre do you avoid at all costs and why?


I tend to avoid paranormal, mostly because I usually find the story line rather boring (sorry paranormal fans). I just think that since 'Twilight' a lot fo paranormal authors have stuck with the vampire/werewolf/human love-triangle. I think I would enjoy reading paranormal if I felt that they were truly original. I guess that me avoiding it has led to me not knowing any good ones, but I simply dislike it.



Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings is hosted by A Few More Pages.  


This week I chose 'Aspects of a Novel' by E.M. Forster. I recently read Forster's 'A Room With a View' and liked it, so I decided to pick this one up to. It is not really a book,but more a collection of lectures given by a friend of his, adapted in such a way they can be read. I really enjoyed David Lodge's 'The Art of Fiction' so I figured this would be a pleasant enough read.


Book Beginnings:  (I decided to skip the Introduction because the beginning of that wasn't interesting or fun although the intro itself was)


'We shall all agree that the fundamental aspect of the novel is its story-telling aspect, but we shall voice our assent in different tones, and it is on the precise tone of voice we employ now that our subsequent conclusions will depend.'


I would say the story line is one of the most important things in the book. If it is boring than no matter how lively your characters are, you will be let down by a book.


Friday 56: 



'So let us think of people as starting life with an experience they forget and ending it with one which they anticipate but cannot understand. These are the creatures whom the novelist proposes to introduce as characters into books; these, or creatures plausibly like them.'



Well, here I seem to have found a good definition of character. I am so using that in my English exam in June: 'these characters seem to work towards a goal which they anticipate but cannot understand'! For once, I will sound smart.


So, how about you? What is your least favourite genre?

Comments

  1. A great way to show depth in novel writing and character construction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Follower... like your post and your background.. looking forward to reading more..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great excerpts! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never get tired of seeing your header. Love your blog and really liked what you said about the story line, so true. Thanks for inviting me over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting read! Great excepts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. new follower . looking forward to reading more from you . here is my FF if you wanna follow back http://totallybookedsolid.blogspot.com/2012/01/follow-friday_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paranormal isn't one of my favorites either.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts