Friday

Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read!

IMAG0004.jpgActivity!!! Take a picture or describe where you love to read the most...


I absolutely love reading outside. The best thing to do is read outside, in the garden, with a nice view in case you accidentally look up from your book, and have the sun in your back. So yeah, that is where I like to read. It's a bit public though, I always feel like people could be looking at me reading, which freaks me out. That's why I often read in my room, on my bed. Another good thing about that is that I can grab books immediately and don't  have to walk upstairs to get it. 

Book Beginnings is hosted by A Few More Pages and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice

This week I chose 'The English Novel: An introduction' by Tery Eagleton. I know, not a very catchy read, but I want to read English at uni, so I'm preparing myself. 

Because the first sentence is boring, I will use one form the introduction. Book Beginning:
'The novel is the mythology of a civilization fascinated by its own everyday existence. It is neither behind or ahead of time, but abreast of them. It reflects them without morbid nostalgia or delusory hope.'

How smart does that sound?

Friday 56
'A classical education was also a moral one, fit for building character ad producing the administrators of empire. These men had studied the classics at school and university, and thus were deemed well-equipped for, say, bloodily suppressing those in India or the Caribbean who posed a threat to British imperial interest. Classics made a man out of you, whereas the novel  had a distressing knack of turning men into old women. '

Hm, apparently I am an man now. Thanks Eagleton.

What happened the last couple of weeks:
Don't hesitate to leave your link below, I'll visit! 

Comments

  1. Awesome post!! I love having a great place to read :)
    Happy Friday and check out my follow Friday!!
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/follow-friday-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower!

    I totally forgot about outside! I love to read outside to, but only if its not loud with people cutting grass and chatting. If its a nice summer day, not too much sun, and I have a nice cold drink, outside is the best place.

    My F&F

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading outside here too! I live out in the middle of nowhere. But only when it's warm enough outside.

    Amanda @ Letters Inside Out - My FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite place to read is outside on my deck in the sunshine, that's as close as I can get to heaven here on earth. The classics are good, I am trying to read some too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 56 I had to read over a couple times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha Juli, thanks for stopping by! I love your 56. I'm pretty sure I qualify as an old man now too! I look forward to reading more from you :)
    have a wonderful friday!
    xoxo
    http://inner-aspen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading outside too. Especially in Summer.

    - New follower

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! I love reading outside too, I can't wait until the weather improves so that I can get out there with a good book :)


    Stephanie
    My Follow Friday Post|Enter my International Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting excerpts, can't read exciting stuff all of the time:)

    Here is a link to my Friday posts: http://tinyurl.com/6mzrrr3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like reading outside too. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a new follower.

    http://universeinwords.blogspot.com/2012/02/friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer reading in bed as well :)

    Following via GFC. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love to read outside. it is pretty weird to have people gawking while you read though.


    Here's my Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  13. An interesting take on what reading the Classics makes you fit for....

    Here's my Friday (a bit late): http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2012/02/friday-memes-on-saturday_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading outside is nice, but you're right, a bit public! I had neighbors decide to introduce themselves once while I was reading...it was awkward, mostly because I was at a good part and was pretty annoyed to stop. lol! Good luck at Uni!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts