Mailbox Monday #2

It's another Monday, which means another start to another week and somehow also means I have even more books than last week. One day, I swear, this increase in book possession will end. But until then, I'm going to keep track of my growing hoard with Mailbox Monday, a meme hosted over at Mailbox Monday by Leslie, Serena and Vicki

Last week I managed to get trapped in a second hand bookstory, my only means of escaping naturally being to buy books. This week, however, my book frenzy mainly stuck to the internet, which means my Kindle is once more loaded with ARCs. This week the newbies are:


One More Thing by B.J. Novak
An endlessly entertaining, surprisingly sensitive and startlingly original debut collection that signals the arrival of a welcome new voice in American fiction.

I loved Novak in Saving Mr. Banks, so when I saw his book on Netgalley I knew I wanted to read it. I hope it is as funny as I think it is going to be.


Grim by Ellen Hopkins, Sarah Rees Brennan, Julie Kagawa and many more!
Inspired by classic fairy tales, but with a dark and sinister twist,Grim contains short stories from some of the best voices in young adult literature today:
I love fairy tales and although I've never read anything by most of the authors, fairytales are one of the few things where I love seeing adaptations, unlike Jane Austen novels for example, so I'm excited!

The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Matthieu
Everyone knows Alice slept with two guys at one party. When Healy High star quarterback, Brandon Fitzsimmons, dies in a car crash, it was because he was sexting with Alice. Ask anybody.  Rumor has it Alice Franklin is a slut. It's written all over the "slut stall" in the girls' bathroom: "Alice had sex in exchange for math test answers" and "Alice got an abortion last semester." After Brandon dies, the rumors start to spiral out of control. In this remarkable debut novel, four Healy High students tell all they "know" about Alice--and in doing so reveal their own secrets and motivations, painting a raw look at the realities of teen life. But in this novel from Jennifer Mathieu, exactly what is the truth about Alice? In the end there's only one person to ask: Alice herself.
I just thought this one looked quite different from all the other YA novels I was seeing around and I especially liked the way you get to see Alice through the eyes of everyone else before you get to her.

So, what was in your Mailbox this week?

Comments

  1. Enjoy your books. Grim looks like one I'd love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Juli,

    A great selection of books this week and I was amazed to see yet another collection of short stories doing the rounds. I have had requests to review two collections so far in the last week and the Novak collection looks like another possibility for my TBR mountain.

    Enjoy all your new books and have a good week.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am intrigued by the blurb of The Truth About Alice...now I must see what you think of it. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ENJOY your books. I don't know any of them.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. It is always nice to see your comments and your smiling face in your avatar. :)

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  5. All are new to me. I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not normally a fan of short story collections, but Grim does look like a lot of fun. I hope it's one you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts