Friday Memes

Alison Can Read Feature & Follow It's Friday Meme time! Time to get out there and visit some blogs! Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee and this week's question is:

Have you ever convinced someone to read a book, a series or a whole genre? What book(s) and who was it? Did they like it?
I usually try to encourage my sister to read everything I have ever read because, in my opinion, she doesn't read enough. She has read Twilight, not recommended by me, and then loved The Hunger Games and The Fault in Our Stars. Although I have read neither, I did encourage her to read them because I know so many people and bloggers who absolutely adored both. She loved both and is currently looking for her next read. I tend to recommend books a lot but then most people I know are currently at University as well and we're not finding a lot of time for pleasure reading. My biggest achievement till now, though, is that my 70-year old Grandfather has started reading Shakespeare. While I was in Germany he was absolutely adorable, constantly ringing me up asking me what certain things meant.


Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.This week's question was suggested by Elizabeth over at Silver's Reviews:

Book Blogger HopDid you ever make a HUGE mistake when you posted a review? For example: Did you have the correct book title but the wrong author in the blog post title? If so, how long until you found your mistake?
That's a really good question and the answer is absolutely YES. I usually self-correct most typos etc. during writing but I have the terrible habit of not always rereading what I've written. I don't do it during exams either because I simply don't want to know how bad it is, which means that I usually don't see any real mistakes that don't stand out. For example, in my review of Alice Hoffman's The Museum of Extraordinary Things, I consistently misspelled her last name as Hofmann which I only realized after posting it. Sometimes my brain just decides a word should be spelled a certain way and then it just doesn't matter I have the bookcover right there to tell me otherwise. But I usually find the mistakes relatively quickly and my posts aren't that massively read that a mistake here and there seems to matter.

Book Beginnings is hosted by Gillion over at Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda over at Freda's Voice. This week I'm using The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith, which I just reviewed. It's a really funny read, once you get into it 


BB:
'My dear wife Carrie and I have just been a week in our new house, “The Laurels,” Brickfield Terrace, Holloway—a nice six-roomed residence, not counting basement, with a front breakfast-parlour.  We have a little front garden; and there is a flight of ten steps up to the front door, which, by-the-by, we keep locked with the chain up.' p.1
This is why this novel is initially quite difficult to get into because it literally is just a diary of a normal person. His house is normal, his wife is normal, and all of this leads to rather normal diary entries, until you get sucked into his life and really start caring about the first his neighbour got onto that flight of ten steps. Don't ask me how Grossmith does it, but it's interesting.

F56:
'Carrie has several times recently called attention to the thinness of my hair at the top of my head, and recommended me to get it seen to.  I was this morning trying to look at it by the aid of a small hand-glass, when somehow my elbow caught against the edge of the chest of drawers and knocked the glass out of my hand and smashed it.' Ch.16
Ah, life is cruel sometimes. But then who hasn't smashed their elbow and subsequently dropped something? It is these moments in the novel where you're just really associating with the main character and care about what happens to him and his wife.


So, how about you? Ever make any mistakes that make you want to face-palm? Leave a link in the comment and have a nice weekend everyone :)

Comments

  1. Our book club encourages reading just about EVERYTHING! We vote on monthly group reads to discuss. Sometimes we hate 'em; sometimes we love 'em. The most important thing is to have fun, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is absolutely what matters the most :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I see where a diary could be slow reading. It must be one of those books you just have to stick with for awhile to enjoy it. Here is my post: Mixed Book Bag

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the intro and would keep reading.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/05/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a few books like this where you start out not getting it and then all of a sudden you're sucked in. I think those are often my favorites. This sounds like an interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed several novels based on letters and diary entries (are they called "epistolary?") and this sounds like a good one. I wonder if part of the appeal is that we're reading something personal -- getting a glimpse of something that we maybe shouldn't be reading. I'll add this book to my TBR list.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: THE DOCTOR'S INDISCRETION.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when it's written in letter form, like 'We Need To Talk About Kevin', then it's called epistolary! I think there's definitely something attractive about the 'fly on the wall' feel of these books! Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  6. I have discovered that I actually love reading about the normal happenings in a person's life, especially when I suspect that something will come along to really stir things up. Enjoy! Here's mine: “INTO THE DARKEST CORNER”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Laurel: reading about normal happenings is fun. Yes, I have flubbed in reviews--very embarrassing.

    Thanks for visiting The Busy Mom's Daily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems a sensitive issue for many, especially the men when it's about going bald. I hope the couple are working these little things out in their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great memes post! I have made mistakes like that, too. Thanks for sharing!

    Check out my Friday 56.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made some errors for sure, such as forgetting to add social media links to the post or captions on photo's etc luckily I've realised early and changed the post. Book Blogger Hop x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I'm an existing follower on Bloglovin'.
    Diane @ Diane's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder why they kept themselves locked in?!
    With the 56, I can relate to Carrie. I razz my hubby often over his retreating hairline. LOL
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree about what you said. We read things so many times, we miss things and think all is ok. :)

    Have a great weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beginning! I would keep reading.....

    Here is my Book Beginning post!!


    What a 56!!

    Here is my Friday 56 post!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just loved recommending books! Happy weekend! :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I once put the wrong author name in a spotlight; I think I had it in the post title no less. So damn embarrassing!

    I can see why the novel would be hard to get into but it's reassuring to hear that it's worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful thing to share Shakespeare with someone! Amazing!

    Thanks for stopping by Second Run Reviews recently.

    Terri M.
    Second Run Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved The Fault In Our Stars! That is so awesome your grandpa is reading Shakespeare. My grandpa is more of a puzzle man. Thank you for stopping by. :)
    New GFC follower

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's great that you encourage your sister to read. But really, you should read TFIOS, it's really good. And I love Shakespeare, too - I was lucky enough to go on a study trip with one of my classes a couple of weeks ago. We spent two days (and nights) in London, and watched to plays at Shakespeare's Globe before we went to Stratford-upon-Avon for three days, to see three more plays at the Royal Shakespeare Company. It was great fun, even if it was very hectic :)
    Thanks for stopping by earlier. I hope you've had a great weekend, Juli.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  20. I find it offputting when I didn't like a book that someone will say -- ok, I won't read it because you didn't like it. I think reading material choice is such a personal and subjective activity ... read what you want! :) So I guess having said that, I love that you encouraged your sister to just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I highly recommend The Fault In Our Stars, I really enjoyed it :) It is amazing that you have gotten your grandfather to read Shakespeare! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. I have to say that I have recommended a few books in my time. I have recommended:
    Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn
    to a girl I worked with and that simple act started off a great recommendations between us back and forth on great books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! Thanks for stopping by. New follower here!

    Vanessa @ Bluest Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for stopping by and for following. Following via GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It makes me crazy when I find errors in my posts! I'm an editor as well as a blogger, so I really try to re-read, but sometimes there just isn't time or something slips past me! Ah well, we're all human, right?

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for following. Following back via GFC and Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I also recommend books based on what I heard/read from bloggers. :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for stopping by my blog & following. I'm a new GFC follower.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts