Tuesday Intros & Teaser Tuesday - 'The Lives of Others' by Neel Mukherjee

Tuesday means two memes! I'm going back to University today as well, which means I'll be hopping by everyone's posts in the afternoon. I thought my train ticket was for tomorrow but then on Monday I was looking through my calendar and just had a small heart-attack. But thankfully I saw it because otherwise it could've gotten awkward! Amyways, on to the memes! Tuesday Intros is hosted by Diane over at Bibliophile by the Sea and Teaser Tuesdays is hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading.

Calcutta, 1967. Unnoticed by his family, Supratik has become dangerously involved in extremist political activism. Compelled by an idealistic desire to change his life and the world around him, all he leaves behind before disappearing is this note …
The ageing patriarch and matriarch of his family, the Ghoshes, preside over their large household, unaware that beneath the barely ruffled surface of their lives the sands are shifting. More than poisonous rivalries among sisters-in-law, destructive secrets, and the implosion of the family business, this is a family unravelling as the society around it fractures. For this is a moment of turbulence, of inevitable and unstoppable change: the chasm between the generations, and between those who have and those who have not, has never been wider. 
Now, onto the memes!


Tuesday Intro:
'A third of the way trough the half-mile walk from the landlord's house to his hut, Nitai Das's feet begin to sway. Or maybe it is the head-spin again. He sits down on the lifeless field he has to cross before he can reach his hut There isn't a thread of shade anywhere. The May sun is an unforgiving fire; it burns his blood dry. It also burns away any longering grain of hope that the monsoons will arrive in time to end third third year of drought. The earth around him is beginning to fissure and crack. His eyelids are heavy. He closes them for a while, then, as sleep begins tot ake him, he pitches forward from his sitting position and jolts awake. Absently, he fingers his great enemy, the soil, not soil any more, but compacted dust. Evene tis memory of water has been erased for ever, as if it has never been.' p.1
I really like the description in this intro. The use of 'fingers' is a bit awkward I think, but that may be a translation thing or on purpose!

Teasers:
'Sitting at work now, it continues to gnaw at him, nothing major or disruptive, nothing painful or upsetting, just a kink that will not go away.' p. 145
I really like this teaser, there's something incredibly relatable to him!


and
'Six weeks later Charubala discovered her youngest son taking the maidservant, Meera, from behind in the attic prayer room.' p.300
I'm assuming that's not a spoiler. But wowsa, go Charubala and Meera, I guess.

So, those are my teasers. Leave a link in the comments and I'll drop by your posts!

Comments

  1. Ooh wonder what's on his mind?!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this one :)

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2014/06/teaser-tuesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember ever reading a book that was set in Calcutta, so this one definitely interests me. Sounds like there's plenty of family drama too. LOVE your Teaser!
    My Teaser is from SINFUL FOLK. There's a giveaway too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound good! I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you saw your ticket in time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the synopsis for the book. Sounds richly detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The intro and description make me curious about the story.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, now I'm curious! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a book I'd start just to see what direction it takes. Enjoy your book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure about this one, but I'd keep reading a bit more before I decide. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would continue, this raises some very interesting and current questions even though this one plays out a few decades ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts