Friday, Friday!

Book Blogger HopIt's so incredibly hot I don't think I can physically cope. Not only is it ruining my hair, I also become slower than a sloth! Which is why I'm staying inside to read and blog! Onto the memes! Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer! This week's question was submitted by Elizabeth over at Silver's Reviews:

Do you like to read books with a team such as Christmas, Halloween etc. ?

I actually don't really know. I don't tend to pick books especially for themes. I read whatever takes my fancy around the holidays and if that involves the "right" thee than by all means. But for me it also depends on whether I feel that the book was written especially for the holiday, if you know what I mean. If a book was clearly written to come out around Christmas, then sometimes that turns me off the book.

Does the Bible count as a Christmas read? Not that I really tend to read the Bible in-depth over Christmas, but oh well.
GFC

Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee and this week's question is:

What is your favourite TV series that you can watch over and over again on Netflix?

Aaah TV series, my favourite thing next to books and movies, otherwise known as my holy trinity. There are so many TV shows I love watching that for the sake of the post-length I'm not going to count my comedy series, like Whose Line is it Anyway, A Bit of Fry & Laurie, etc.

Shows I love are Sherlock, Doctor Who, The Clone Wars and Pretty Little Liars! Then there's Supernatural, I had a really good run with Spartacus as well (so sad it's over), I'm still working through Buffy but absolutely loving it, Charmed, Friends, ugh, waay too many!
 
 

A show I'm planning on starting this weekend is Firefly, even though I know there isn't enough of it I also know I will fall in love with it!

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gilion over at Rose City Reader and Freda at Freda's Voice respectively. This week I'm using Splintered by A.G. Howard, which saw Tracy over at Cornerfolds review and I knew then I wanted it, no, needed it! So I'm going to start this one

BB:
'I’ve been collecting bugs since I was ten; it’s the only way I can stop their whispers. Sticking a pin through the gut of an insect shuts it up pretty quick.' p.1
Ooh, I wasn't expecting the potential gruesomeness of this book but I'm sort of loving it. There's a lot of interesting things about this beginning and I'm really intrigued!

F56:
'“You can stay this size if you want to. I’ll carry you in my pocket.” p.56
Knowing that this series is set in Wonderland, I have a feeling I know what this sentence is about. I love the fact that I can already sense the snark that will be in this book!

So, that was it for me today! I'll be stopping by as many blogs as I can over the weekend!

Comments

  1. The 56 gets my attention. I don't like bugs. I have to take up for them here. She seems awfully cruel. The way she talks about putting the pin in their guts...doesn't make me like her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Firefly! The very best scenes are when the whole crew is just sitting around talking. It's just wonderful. Hopefully you love it as well.
    I've seen Splintered mentioned but haven't seen any excerpts and wasn't aware it took place in Wonderland. Love the excerpts! Now I want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely intriguing...probably not my kind of read, but enjoy!

    Here's mine: “EVERYWHERE THAT MARY WENT”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my book blogger hop. I don't care for themed-books as you saw.

    That character has to be, and I hope it is a boy. Sticking pins in bugs. Ugghh.

    Thanks for sharing all your thoughts.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new follower, and this is my first hop. And, Supernatural. DUH! Is there really another answer to this week's question?

    Here's my #FF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahaha! I also have Sherlock and Doctor Who on my list. (Like you, I didn't bother trying to just choose one.) And YUS oh my gosh please watch Firefly. God I love that show. I totally forgot to add it to my list. *must do now*

    Old follower on Twitter :)

    Amelia | The Authoress

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sentence. Feels like I'm entering a fairy tale world or a world of fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping through. Love Sherlock and Doctor Who. I should try Clone Wars. I've always been a mild Star Wars fan. I'd like something to really get me into it.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whispering bugs? That's quite an opening! Not sure if this is for me, but I'll take a "look inside" on Amazon to read a little more.
    I love "Sherlock" too and "The Big Bang Theory." The mysteries on PBS are always good too.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave a comment about my Friday post: REMIX.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in the middle of the newest season of PLL right now! Love that show!!

    Here's my F&F!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's some opening! Just a little bit creepy....

    I've been away from the meme for a while, but trying to get back in the swing of things. Here's my Friday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Splintered on my wish list!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm. I am wondering why he/she hears insects before he/she sticks a pin in them. Ew.w.w. Wouldn't that be awful?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE Sherlock! I'm a New follower!! FF:
    http://www.iamsimplyabookdrunkard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been meaning to read Splintered for a while now too...but I'm here for FF so I'm a new follower and I know what you mean by having too many TV shows. Here is my #FF

    ReplyDelete
  16. TAAAAARDIS! ;)

    I am always so impressed with number of memes you can answer on Fridays, Juli!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Juli,

    Whilst 'Splintered' probably isn't the book for me, I love the two featured excerpts, they illustrate that perhaps 'Wonderland', no matter where it might be, may not be all it's cracked up to be and things are not always bright and rosy! I also love the Goodreads' version of the cover art, it is very alluring!

    I am the bug control officer in our house. Hubbie is good at searching them out, but capture and disposal is down to me. I don't think I am quite as cruel as your character, although I must admit that I don't always go out of my way to release them back into the wild!

    I agree with you about the current heatwave, I am finding it almost impossible to function now and can't wait for it to cool down a bit, although I have to say that very quietly, for fear of being lynched by the sun worshippers out there. We just aren't geared up for it over here, are we? So few of our homes and shops are equipped with air con. that doing anything which doesn't involve having a fan strapped to your back, is almost impossible... Never mind, Autumn isn't too far away!

    Have a good wekend,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts