Intro Tuesday and Teaser Tuesday - 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand

This week I'm sharing one of my all-time favourite books with you: The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I read this book for my 100 Classics list during my first year at University and was completely sucked into it. This book, quite genuinely, changed the way I looked at literature and what it could achieve. Click here for my review, in case you want to read my initial thoughts on it!

Yesterday I was in the library, casually strolling down the aisles, wasting time. Then I saw this one and was reminded of reading it for the first time and had to take it home with me. Its 700+ pages simply flew by the first time and I am rereading it now, once again getting sucked into it. I'm already a 100+ pages in and I don't even feel like I've been reading for that long!


Intro Tuesday is hosted by Diane over at Bibliophile by the Sea and Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading. These two memes are an enormous amount of fun!

Intro:
'Howard Roark laughed.He stood naked at the edge of a cliff. The lake lay far below him. A frozen explosion of granite burst in flight to the sky over motionless water. The water seemed i movable, the stone flowing. The stone had the stillness of one brief moment in battle when thrust meets thrust and the currents are held in a  pause more dynamic than motion. The stone glowed, wet with sunrays.The lake below was only a thin steel ring that cut the rocks in half. The rocks went on into the depth, unchanged. They began and ended in the sky. So that the world seemed suspended in space, an island floating on nothing, anchored tot he feet of the man on the cliff.His body leaned back against the sky. It was a body of long straight lines and angles, each curve broken into planes.' p.1
I simply love this beginning. I will admit to not quite understanding it the first time, but now I can really appreciate the beauty of Rand's writing and her descriptions. Especially the line before the last, 'His body leaned back against the sky.', is absolutely beautiful!


TeaserTuesdays2014eTeaser:
'Ralston Holcombe had no visible neck, but his chin took care of that. His chin and jaws formed an unbroken arc, resting on his chest. His cheeks were pink, soft to the touch, with the irresilient softness of age, like the skin of a peach that has been scalded.' p.108
Again, Rand's descriptions simply overwhelm me. The first line is just beautifully sarcastic, but then the following two sentences are so gentle in their description of this old man. I love her ability to transition between two different tones so easily.

So, what are you guys introducing and teasing today? Do you think you'd like The Fountainhead? Or do the 700 pages sound a bit terrifying?

Comments

  1. Good to see someone rereading her books. Atlas Shrugged is the one I love and reread. My TT this week is from Two Graves by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child at http://wp.me/pZnGI-fo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow it seems to get better with every reread, no?

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean. New life experiences bring new outlooks.

      Delete
  2. I've not read anything by Rand, but sure would like to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do! This book blows me away every time I read it!

      Delete
  3. I am not inclined toward classics or long books, but based on the intro, which I enjoyed and your recommendation, I would consider this one. Enjoy your re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It feels like a hundred years ago that I read this one...but probably only 50 or so...I know I loved it, but was probably too young to fully grasp it. This one should be on my reread stack. Thanks for reminding me!

    Here's mine: “FIVE DAYS LEFT”


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that with 'Catcher in the Rye', way to young to understand what was happening when I read it for the first time!

      Delete
  5. I have never read The Fountainhead, but I like the opening. This looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged a long time ago. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying this book just as much the second time around. Both these books are on my shelves, and I'm sure I'll read them again (but I must admit -- I'll probably just scan the long preachy parts!)
    My Tuesday post features a Navajo mystery by Tony Hillerman: THE BLESSING WAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read 'Atlas Shrugged', but now that I'm rereading this one I really feel the need to pick it up straight afterwards!

      Delete
  7. Atlas Shrugged is a book I have been wanting to read for some time now, but I admit this one never really crossed my radar. You've got me curious now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atlas Shrugged is also on my radar now! Glad to get you curious ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh nice description! Totally new to me read!


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always shied off reading Ayn Rand - maybe I should be more adventurous.I do like the opening and it would keep me reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not read this book. The chunksters do not scare me away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the beginning, especially the description of the rocks. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always been hesitant to read Rand. Maybe I should reconsider.
    Here's my TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/11/04/teaser-tuesdays-88-real-elves-an-emily-castle-mystery/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Juli, I always wanted to read this one and haven't - I like the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely interesting descriptions, I especially enjoyed the introduction. Great pick!

    Here are My Teasers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts