Tuesday Intros and Teaser Tuesday - 100 Skills for the End of the World

It's Tuesday and I think I have a really funny book for you guys, which will hopefully give us some fun teasers! Tuesday Intros is hosted by Diane over at Bibliophile at the Sea and Teaser Tuesday by MizB over at Should Be Reading. This week's books is: 100 Skills for the End of the World as We Know It by Ana Maria Spegna.

What skills will you need after a global catastrophe? Whether it’s the end of oil, an environmental disaster, or something entirely unforeseen, Ana Maria Spagna outlines 100 skills you’ll find indispensable for life after the apocalypse. Once the dust has settled, you’ll need to know how to barter, perform basic first aid, preserve food, cut your own hair, clean a chimney, navigate by the stars, stitch a wound, darn socks, and sharpen blades. You’ll also want to build a stable and safe community, so you’ll need to master the arts of conversation, child raising, listening, music making, and storytelling. This fascinating and entertaining book, full of quirky illustrations by artist Brian Cronin, will provoke surprise, debate, and laughter while it provides a road map to greater self-reliance and joy, whatever the future brings.
Intro:
'Future Tense 
In my first class as a high school freshman, I entered the room to find every inch of every blackboard covered with numbers. Huh? The teacher, a biblical scholar, tried to get us to guess what the numbers were. Lottery numbers? Algebraic formulas? Secret codes?? No. They were dates, we could tell that much, but for what?
Eventually he explained that these were all dates on which someone, likely a propher, had predicted that the world would end. Since then, we've survived a predicted apocalypse a few times, from midnight 1999 to the 2012 Mayan calendar deadline, and so far we're safe. p.1
I initially only wanted to include the first paragraph but then thought that was a little bit too cruel. So far I really like the tone of it. It's both light, funny but hopefully it will also become informative. I mean, I have to survive the apocalypse somehow!
TeaserTuesdays2014e

Teaser:
' Cloud Reading 
How to forecast weather withut satellites or radar? Watch the sky.p.49
There is, of course, a lot more to the chapter on Cloud Reading but I love the abruptness of it. This book, I feel, will be a lot of fun!

So, what are you teasing with? And do you think you could survive an apocalypse?

Comments

  1. That first paragraph sounds like a lot of fun!

    Mine: http://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2014/11/18/teaser-tuesday-night-broken/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to watch the sky, not to forecast the weather though :)

    TeaserTuesday@EverythingNyze

    ReplyDelete
  3. That teaser had me laughing out loud. Yep, who needs complicated satellites when we have the sky. Great teaser.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I need a light-hearted book soon, the last few I've read have been pretty intense. Will look into getting this! Thanks!

    http://thegannette.wordpress.com/2014/11/18/teaser-tuesday-2/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your teaser, sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun read and the perfect gift for a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How soon we forget what was just common sense before all the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I like the view that we can somehow figure out a way to make it through such a disaster.

    I also like the part about the numerous dates predicted for the end of the world.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the intro. I have the perfect person to give this book as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's a very interesting beginning. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha - I love the sound of this one! Although it would probably stress me out to realize how few of these skills I actually possess! This kind of reminds me of a novel called One Second After about what would happen if there were an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) attack in the U.S. Essentially, bullets served as currency...scary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That first paragraph followed by the answer is intriguing - I hope it prepares you should the apocalypse arrive :-) Thanks for visiting my TT http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/11/18/teaser-tuesday-november-18/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the introduction! Simple and to the point, it makes me want to know more about the instruction methods this teacher uses; so brilliant! Also, this book looks to be one that will pose a lot of great questions, thanks for sharing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hah, there's quite a bit of humor from both the intro and the teaser. Something tells me this has a lot of helpful advice, though, too. Cool pick!!

    This week it's all fantasy with My Teasers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a really interesting beginning. I like the Teaser too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts