Follow Friday - 'Just One More Day' by Jessica Blair

Alison Can Read Feature & FollowI haven't done a Friday meme post this year, first being away on a holiday, then struggling my way through essays and exams and then enjoying my freedom. But now it's time to get back into the fun of blogging, so here I go! Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee, and this week's question was suggested by Jessica over at A Great Read. Definitely check out her blog, because she not only posts regularly but also has a great review style! Now, for the question:

Do you post your reviews anywhere besides your blog? Where else do you post reviews?

Great question! Initially I only posted them on my blog because I didn't know about any other platforms. However, then I realised that I could, of course, post them to Amazon, Barnes & Nobles etc. and then I discovered Goodreads and since then I've been posting a lot of my reviews on there. However, I'm not very good at keeping my Goodreads account up to date with my blog, which is really something I should change. But now it feels like there is such a mountain of reviews I need to put up that I need a week to really get it all sorted. Oh, and of course I post a lot of my reviews on Netgalley, if they are Netgalley books.

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. This week's question was suggested by Elizabeth over at Silver's Reviews:

How do you feel when someone continues to put the EXACT same comment on your blog each week?

Ooh this is a tricky question because on the one hand I appreciate every single comment and love everyone for taking the time to look at my blog. However, like every other blogger, I spend a lot of time on my blog posts and on my answers etc. and sometimes it is a bit of a let down when a commenter has quite clearly not read anything I have written. And when it happens week after week you sort of wonder whether your blog simply isn't engaging enough. But I decided a time ago that I am simply going to appreciate the thought behind someone commenting, no matter what the comment says.

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gilion over at Rose City Reader and Freda over at Freda's Voice respectively. This week I am showcasing Just One More Day by Jessica Blair, a book sent to me by Piatkus. It will be published on the 5th of February, for which my review is also scheduled.

BB:
'Seventeen-year-old Carolyn Maddison glanced at the clock on her bedroom wall. Ten minutes to eleven She put down her copy of Daphne du Maurier's 'Rebecca', rose from her chair and stood looking out of the window.' p.1
I really like this beginning. I feel like Blair managed to tell us something about Carolyn in those first few lines just through the pacing of the sentences. She seems calm and thoughtful, yet you also feel she's very restrained. The fact that she's reading Rebecca also is a major hint.


F56:
'"There's one thing I've vowed", Carolyn said then. "I'm not going to get close to anyone until this war is over."' p.56
Well, this sounds like one of those famous last words before she runs into the man of her dreams. However, it is a very smart attitude to have during a time as stressful as the War, so I am starting to like Carolyn more and more.

So, what are you reading at the moment? And where do you post most of your reviews? How do you feel about staple comments?

Comments

  1. I post my review in other places besides my blog, Goodreads and Amazon. I try to hit Twitter..and other social media and sometimes go back to old posts and shout them out. After all, we are sharing books with others. :-) Have a great weekend.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever even thought about posting on B&N! I guess it makes sense since it's... um, a book site. I love Goodreads though!! Old follower :)

    Here's my F&F!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will have to look for this book when it's published.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/01/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that the character is reading Rebecca makes me want to read this novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodreads is definitely my favorite! It's hard to keep up with reviews, sometimes! (:

    New follower via GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see I'm not the only commenter/blogger who has forgotten about Barnes and Noble. Since I buy most of my books from Amazon, I didn't even think about posting there. Goodreads and my blog are always the first to see any action though.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    Amber @ Dystopian Wonders

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like one of those vows, like Scarlett's: "I'll never be hungry again!"

    Definitely grabbed my interest...thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the impression created by the author in the opening scene. Very contemplative and peaceful. I'd keep reading to find out what's on the character's mind.
    I post reviews on Goodreads and Amazon but never think about posting on Barnes & Noble too. Need to get into the habit of doing that.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave a comment.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had the same trouble with keeping my goodreads updated.
    I started really working hard on it earlier this month so hopefully I can keep it organized and up to date!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today =)
    Bloglovin follower =)
    Happy reading!
    Ashley
    http://bookstothetea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not reading anything at the moment, and I post most of my reviews on my blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never thought about posting on B&N. Might have to check that out. :D Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love NetGalley! I usually post my reviews from my blog onto NetGalley. Thank you for stopping by. :)
    Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, that 56 sets up the storyline perfectly. I wonder if she will put up some resistance if she meets someone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I make sure I'm posting all of my reviews for my eGalley's to either Netgalley or Edelweiss, so that I can build up my status with the publishers. :)

    New follower of your lovely blog.

    Happy Reading and Hopping Through! :)
    Suz @ A Soul Unsung

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds interesting. Pretty much any book that begins with referencing another book - and especially one I like - is going to have me sold. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I have a book from NetGalley I post there but mostly I post on my own blog and try to keep up on Goodreads (which is an ongoing battle).

    New Bloglovin' follower

    My FF: http://www.keeperbookshelf.com/feature-follow-friday-2

    ReplyDelete
  17. I post my review on Amazon, B&N, Goodreads, and Shelfari besides my blog. I also post it on bloglovin and TSU .
    I like your 56. Made me laugh as I think of all the characters that say they have no time for love. Love comes on it's own time:)

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/01/23/the-friday-56-49-the-christmas-dragon/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the beginning, and I love that she was reading Rebecca. :)

    It sounds quite good.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    Commenting on your Book Blogger Hop....I agree I should appreciate EVERY single comment and I do, but when no thought is behind the comment, it does upset me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Goodreads happens to be my main go to after the blog, netgalley as well.
    Following back via bloglovin'

    -Courtney @ Storybook Slayers

    ReplyDelete
  20. I post on Goodreads and Amazon as well as my blog. I think authors and publishers think more of post there than on individual blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like an interesting read.
    I have always wanted to read Rebecca too.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for stopping by my Blog. What genre is this book?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked your impression to your 56, it's so true. Though I haven't read war time stories these days, but this one is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Goodreads is really helpful in keeping up with reading. I post mainly on my blog, then the shorter versions on Goodreads. :)

    I don't mind people leaving the same comment over and over again. I'm just happy they stopped by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I actually started off posting on Goodreads before I started my blog. It's the opposite now: I always post on my blog, but I'm terrible about posting to Goodreads! xD
    Thank you so much for stopping by!
    Old follower! :D
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Juli,

    When I first began blogging, that was really the only place I published my thoughts and reviews. I have only recently decided to join the Goodreads community, but wish that I had done so years ago, as like yourself, I still have lots of posting catching up to do!

    I also post my reviews on both Amazon UK and Amazon US and shoutout on Twitter.

    I have had loads of great books via Netgalley, but my reviews are mostly from author review request books, so unfortunately NetGalley tends to get left out. I don't want that situation to suffer too badly though, as I would hate to get thrown out for failing to publish enough reviews.

    I agree with just about every word and sentiment you express about comments on your blog and I really do appreciate all the time people take to stop by and leave a message.

    I have read quite a few Jessica Blair books over the years and ran a piece about the writing of Bill Spence some time ago. It is good to see that Bill 'coming out' from behind his female pseudonym, hasn't affected his popular following in any way and that his work is still being enjoyed by his many loyal followers.

    Thanks for sharing and for such an interesting post, have a great weekend,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have just finished, and reviewed Heather Gray's Redemption and left my reviews on Amazon - both .com and UK + Goodreads. I will be featuring Heather on BB & pg56 next month. -

    Love the sound of this book and intend to hop over to Amazon to get it.

    If I Loved You. is my offering for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I post on Amazon and Goodreads as well as my blog. I haven't thought to post anywhere else unless it's Netgalley that I got the book from.
    It's hard to pass judgement on someone who comments the same thing all the time, especially if it's not happening to you. Being appreciative is the best approach I think.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts