Tuesday Intros and Teaser Tuesdays - 'Winter Rose' by Patricia A. McKillip

Winter Rose (Winter Rose, #1)I'm back from Israel and Germany and I'm slightly worried about essays and exams, but I am very excited to get back to blogging! It's strange how much I missed chatting about books etc. It gives a lot of regularity to my life! Anyways, I will try to not become mushy, so let's move on to these memes. Tuesday Intros is hosted by Diane over at Bibliophile by the Sea and Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading. This week I'm using Winter Rose by Patricia A. McKillip, a book that I am planing on reading as soon as my essays are handed in and done!

Sorrow and trouble and bitterness will bound you and yours and the children of yours...
Some said the dying words of Nial Lynn, murdered by his own son, were a wicked curse. To others, it was a winter's tale spun by firelight on cold, dark nights. But when Corbet Lynn came to rebuild his family estate, memories of his grandfather's curse were rekindled by young and old - and rumours filled the heavy air of summer.
In the woods that border Lynn Hall, free-spirited Rois Melior roams wild and barefooted in search of healing herbs. She is as hopelessly unbridled - and unsuited for marriage - as her betrothed sister Laurel is domestic. In Corbet's pale green eyes, Rois senses a desperate longing. In her restless dreams, mixed with the heady warmth of harvest wine, she hears him beckon. And as autumn gold fades, Rois is consumed with Corbet Lynn, obsessed with his secret past - until, across the frozed countryside and in flight from her own imagination, truth and dreams become inseparable...
Somehow it sounds so exciting and straight forward at the same time and there are some fairy tale aspects woven in there as well so I can't wait!

Intro:
They said later that he rode into the village on a horse the color of buttermilk, but I saw him walk out of the wood.I was kneeling at the well; I had just lifted water to my lips. The well was one of the wood's secrets: a deep spring as clear as light, hidden under an overhang of dark stones down which the brier roses fall, white as snow, red as blood, all summer long. The vines hide the water unless you know to look. I found it one hot afternoon when I stopped to smell the roses. Beneath their sweet scent lay something shadowy, mysterious: the smell of earth, water, wet stone. I moved the cascading briers and looked down at my own reflection. p.1
I never know whether I like first person narration, but I really like it in this beginning. I also like the description of the nature, so I think this one will be a good one for me.
TeaserTuesdays2014e
Teaser:
"Rois!" She was shivering, her cheeks flushed with anger and relief and cold. "Where have you been all night?" p.33
I wonder what Rois was up to. But she sounds like the kind of character that will get herself into trouble without a problem and I like those kind of characters. Nothing is better than a heroine who gets in and out of trouble herself!

So, what are you reading? And does Winter Rose sound like your kind of reading?

Comments

  1. I'd read more, I like the intro and this author. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to read this author, as the surname is one that once belonged to me (LOL); my second marriage, and two of my children have this name.

    But aside from my own personal history, I like the prose and I am intrigued by the descriptions. I do like first person narrative when it is clear who is narrating. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “CALL ME ZELDA”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the intro. I am not familiar with this author, but I would read more. Good Luck with your essays and exams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's horrible to think of a son killing his father. Just read about this situation in real life this morning. Would love to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of success on your essays and exams! Hope you had a fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the description of finding the spring. So rich with detail! This sounds like a story I'd enjoy.
    My Tuesday post features LEARNIN’ THE ROPES.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! I'm so excited that a) you're back, and b) you're going to read this book! I hope you love it!!

    Here's my Tuesday Post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is new to me, but I like the intro!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOoh nice tease! Wonder what she was up to!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it a romance?

    Happy New Year! I have a quote from a Grisham legal thriller this week:

    http://pdworkman.com/excerpt-from-the-litigators-teasertuesday-grisham-books/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your essays and exams!

    I really like that beginning too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck getting those essays done... you deserve to relax with a good book after that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She was probably at the well.... lol... sounds like it is well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the writing and am intrigued by the into. It's one I might keep reading.

    Here's my TT from AWOL - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/01/06/teaser-tuesdays-94-awol/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked that intro Juli, hope the rest is as good.

    Lucky you to have visited Israel and Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm more intrigued by the cover art than the teasers! Is that bad? Also, is this fantasy?

    Hidden Agenda | Lisa Harris

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks intriguing. I'd keep reading! Hope all goes well with your essays and exams!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A little late to commenting but I hope you're enjoying Winter Rose! (or enjoyed it if you had finished it since) It's my favourite Patricia McKillip novel, I thought the writing was very lyrical and the story mysterious but wondrous :)

    (Btw, dunno if you dropped by recently but I recently changed domain urls--was formerly at caffeinatedlife.net :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts