Friday Memes and 'When We Were Animals' by Joshua Gaylord

Alison Can Read Feature & FollowThis is the Friday on which I officially accept my offer to St. Andrews! It is a tense, exhilarating and nervous day all at once, which is quite a lot of emotions for just one day. But before I wax lyrical about my emotions, let's move on to some memes and have a good time!

Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee and this week's question was suggested by Eternity Through Pages:

Have you ever been inspired by a book character to do something? Who was the character and what was it?

Great question! In a "spiritual" sense (I know, how very pretentious), quite a lot of characters have convinced me to have a more independent and proud, in a good sense, attitude towards life. Hermione in the Harry Potter books has definitely inspired me to be proud of my desire to learn and that being passionate for something isn't a bad thing. On a different, more practical level, Pride and Prejudice  and Wuthering Heights  always make me want to go hiking more! I love the descriptions of nature in these books and make me desperate to just GO OUTSIDE! That probably isn't what I should be taking away from those books...

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer and this week's question was suggested by Elizabeth over at Silver's Review:

Do you read more on a rainy day or on a gorgeous day so you can be outside?

Aah, see, I love the sound of rain on the roof! It's one of my favourite sounds ever. I really enjoy having it in the background while I read. Similarly, I love reading while the sun shines through the windows! So basically, I have no idea how to answer this question! I do like reading outside, so if the sun shines I tend to just pull up a chair in the sunshine. Maybe one day I'll catch a tan in that way!

When We Were AnimalsBook Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gilion over at Rose City Reader and Freda over at Freda's Voice. This week I'm using When We Were Animals  by Joshua Gaylord.
A small, quiet Midwestern town, which is unremarkable save for one fact: when the teenagers reach a certain age, they run wild.When Lumen Fowler looks back on her childhood, she wouldn't have guessed she would become a kind suburban wife, a devoted mother. In fact, she never thought she would escape her small and peculiar hometown. When We Were Animals is Lumen's confessional: as a well-behaved and over-achieving teenager, she fell beneath the sway of her community's darkest, strangest secret. For one year, beginning at puberty, every resident "breaches" during the full moon. On these nights, adolescents run wild, destroying everything in their path.Lumen resists. Promising her father she will never breach, she investigates the mystery of her community's traditions and the stories erased from the town record. But the more we learn about the town's past, the more we realize that Lumen's memories are harboring secrets of their own.A gothic coming-of-age tale for modern times, When We Were Animals is a dark, provocative journey into the American heartland.
Does this not just sounds incredibly exciting?

BB:
'For a long time, when I was a girl, I was a very good girl. You should have known me then. You would have liked me. Shy, undergrown, good in school, eager to please. At the dinner table, especially when my father and I went visiting, I didn't eat before others, and I sometimes went without salt because I was too timid to ask anyone to pass it. 1%
I really liked this beginning

F56:
'Routine is important for people like me. It keeps us anchored in reality. It's how we keep from spinning off into the ether.' 56%
I definitely know what the author means! When it feels as if everything might go to pieces it feels great to have a routine that you can rely on.

So, that was my week! I am really looking forward to starting When We Were Animals, it sounds so good!

Comments

  1. Interesting book. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just those 2 quotes are enough to make me want to read this. I really like that bit about routines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When We Were Animals sounds very interesting. I have never heard of it before.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very shy when I was a child. Now it's hard to shut my up! Please click on my name and check out my BB and 56.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Routine is important for me too. Doctors call it OCD, I call it routine. ;-)
    Looks like a great read!
    I added you to the Linky!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the book's title, and I'm curious about those "breaches." Sounds like it's much more than tipping cows or mailbox baseball!
    My Friday post features THE SNOW CHILD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOh that's cool!! Hermione definitely made me feel intimidated because oh wow that girl was smart! I was too much of a daydreamer to be able to retain much! I kind of felt like Harry and Ron in needed her to help me out with studies and such! LOL!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big fan of memoirs, so I'm not sure about reading this one.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/03/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane Austen makes me think about hiking and walking more,coo. Here's my post http://ebogie.blogspot.com/2015/03/book-beginnings-page-56-shepherdess-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that sounds kind of interesting though I don't think I would read it. I hope you are enjoying it! :)

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  11. That premise is really intriguing and I love both the beginning and 56. Sounds like an entertaining read. I'm a fan of rain on the roof too It definitely makes for good reading weather!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen Hermione on so many lists today! It seems like J.K. Rowling knew what she was doing with that one! Old follower :)

    Here's my F&F!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds good! I really liked the 56, as I often have believed that routines have grounded me....and I like the image of "spinning off into the ether."

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog. And congrats on the new offer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup, routine is important. I like your Friday 56.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I already put a lot of focus on school, so Hermione wasn't a HUGE inspiration, but she is an AMAZING character! Great answer!

    Lizzie @ lizziethesarcasticblonde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, too timid to ask any one to pass the salt. Isn't that something? Luv this beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book sounds so intense! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hermione is listed quite a lot! I just loved her attitude towards everything.

    Old follower.

    My FF: http://onceuntold.blogspot.com/2015/03/feature-follow-friday-inspiration-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. That really does sound like a great book. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohh great pick this book looks and sounds fantastic it has peeked my intrest. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loovvee reading outside. It doesn't rain much in LA but I do love the sound of rain on a roof as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, those are some interesting quotes and the blurb is quite intriguing. It sounds dark and frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was just looking at this! It sounds fantastic - thanks for sharing!

    Check out my 56 with Book Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Any weather would do as long as there are books right? :) Your book looks interesting btw ♥

    BookBloggerHop@EverythingNyze
    BookBeginning@EverythingNyze

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your answer is similar to mine. I like both sunny and rainy weather to read in, but outside in the summer is the best.

    ENJOY your day!!

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anything we take away from books is a positive really. xx

    New bloglovin follower x

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's difficult to know which is more appealing, rainy day reading or enjoying the sunshine with a book in hand. Both are ideal, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  28. To the blogger hop question... I will read anywhere, any time, rain or shine. LOL! New GFC follower!

    Shannon @ The Tale Temptress

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts