Tuesday Intros and Teaser Tuesdays - 'Verily, A New Hope' by Ian Doescher

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #4)I have no chills left, if I ever had any to begin with. Last night I became one of the happiest people on Earth when my dad bought my family tickets to next year's Star Wars Celebration Europe in London!! I genuinely can't wait. After this weekend's amazing live feed from Anaheim, I realized I simply had to go to a SWC and when they announced that the next one would be held in London it was like fate had intervened for me!

I have cried, I have laughed hysterically and then I just stared at the wall for a bit. I am now calm and in honour of that calm I am using a Star Wars book for today's memes. Tuesday Intros is hosted by Diane over at Bibliophile by the Sea and Teaser Tuesdays is hosted over at A Daily Rhythm. This week I'm using Quirkbooks' Verily, A New Hope, Ian Doescher's Shakespeare adaptation of A New Hope.
Inspired by one of the greatest creative minds in the English language—and William Shakespeare—here is an officially licensed retelling of George Lucas's epic Star Wars in the style of the immortal Bard of Avon. The saga of a wise (Jedi) knight and an evil (Sith) lord, of a beautiful princess held captive and a young hero coming of age, Star Wars abounds with all the valor and villainy of Shakespeare’s greatest plays. ’Tis a tale told by fretful droids, full of faithful Wookiees and fearsome Stormtroopers, signifying...pretty much everything.
Reimagined in glorious iambic pentameter—and complete with twenty gorgeous Elizabethan illustrations—William Shakespeare’s Star Wars will astound and edify Rebels and Imperials alike. Zounds! This is the book you’re looking for.
Intro:
'C-3PO"Now is the summer of our happiness made winter by this sudden, fierce attack! Our ship is under siege, I know not how. O hast thou heard? The main reactor fails! We shall most surely be destroy'd by this. I'll warrant madness lies herein!"
R2-D2:"-Beep beep, 
Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, beep, beep, whee!"
C-3PO:"We're doomed."'
I just love how much it is still like Star Wars. I mean, this is pretty much exactly how the scene goes in the film and yet Doescher has managed to maintain its spirit while writing in a completely different style. Writing in iambic pentameter requires a certain style and tone, and it takes some skill to adapt it naturally!

TeaserTuesdays2014e

Teaser:
'Obi-wan:"Forsooth, a great disturbance in the Force /Have I just felt. 'Twas like a million mouths /Cried out in fear at once, and then were gone, /All hush'd and quiet - silent to the last. /I fear a stroke of evil hath occur'd. /But thou, good Luke, thy practice recommence."' p.88-9
This is one of my favourite scenes from A New Hope. Anyone who says George Lucas only writes awkward dialogue doesn't know how to appreciate his ventures into mythology. 

So, what are you introducing and teasing this week? I will try to keep my fangirling over Star Wars under control but I can't make any promises!

Comments

  1. How exciting! You're going to have such a great time in London!

    I've seen this book series at Barnes & Noble, and I was tempted to try it out. As much as I like the Star Wars franchise, I'm not a devoted fan. I do like Shakespeare though.

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy your London time:)

    I've never been a Star Trek fan....gasp.....so I probably would not care to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lucky you!

    Haaaa on this version. I'm not a big enough fan to read the whole thing again, but love the perfect blend of Shakespeare and Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to pass on this. I think I'd find an entire book of these character speaking in a Shakespearean dialect too bizarre for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I admire your passion for Star Wars, I'm afraid it isn't one I share but thanks for making me smile as this sounds quite something for the fans :-) Thanks for visiting my Tuesday Post https://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/first-chapter-first-paragraph-april-21/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Nice tease! Seeing this around a bit lately! Hope you're enjoying it!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the movies and the shows. So surprised I haven't read the books. LOL
    My TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/21/teaser-tuesdays-111-constricted-by-bejjajcampbell-review-free-book/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous prose! Thanks for sharing...and enjoy. And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative . . . enjoy!

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/04/first-chapter-first-paragraph-103.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny! OK, I confess - my husband and I are Star Wars fans from way, way back. To the beginning or rather the 4th episode. I can remember standing in line at a movie theater for that one. The line wrapped around the building. And, believe me, no movies were that popular at that time. Can't wait for the one in December. Enjoy your Star Wars Europe event!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy news indeed! How lucky you are. You are going to have a great year of anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would totally get into this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good news for you! I wouldn't be able to get into this book but if it is a delight for you, then it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting! I am so thrilled for you. :-) Now to just be patient until then. I have to say, I'm curious about the book you've shared parts of here. I am not a fan of Shakespeare but I do like Star Wars. It's such an interesting combination!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts