Armchair BEA 2015: Book to Movie Adaptations

It's the last day of BEA! Why did this ABEA go so quickly? Time has genuinely flown and I feel like I haven't been able to visit as many new blogs as I would've liked, but I'm working on it! I love today's final topic, Book to Movie Adaptations!
What books do you want to be made into a movie or a television show? What are some of your favourites? We'll explore more about this topic, especially what works and what doesn't. Are there any upcoming shows or movies that you're excited for? What are your recommendations?
An adaptation I really want to see is a film for Carloz Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game! Crucially, however, I want them in Spanish, made by a Spanish director. Whenever I watch Spanish films, such as Pan's Labyrinth (I know that Guillermo is Mexican), I feel like there is a distinct "magical realism" touch about them and that's what I want from these adaptations. I don't want Hollywood to touch them and ruin them!

My favourite book adaptations are probably the The Lord of the Rings films and the Harry Potter films. Although they left brilliant bits of the books out and although they might not have been perfect for everyone, I felt like both adaptations really got to the core of the book. Naturally an adaptation isn't a "translation onto screen", so there will be aspects that won't make it. However, the beauty of both LotR and HP is that the directors really understood, I feel, the atmosphere and the emotions of the books.

I also really love the adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle by Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli! In the light of this year's theme, Diversity, I just loved the fact that an Asian studio made an anime film of a British book and, despite changing a lot, still stayed true to the magic of the book!

Also I am SO, I repeat SO, excited for Star Wars: The Force Awakens in December! I know that's not exactly a book adaptation, but these films are steeped in mythology and therefore I feel like it sort of counts!

So, that was only a short post for today, but that leaves more time to really hop around and see some others! I want movie recommendations!!

Comments

  1. I haven't read Shadow of the Wind or Angel's Game, but I need to!! I'm a huge fan of the HP films, but I haven't seen any of the others you mention (actually, I like, I have seen the LoTR films but had no clue what was going on :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Shadow of the Wind is on my TBR, I'm really looking forward to reading it. I really like the LOTR adaptations too. I totally agree that they capture the atmosphere and emotions of the books. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the first two books. I loved Pan's Labyrinth... and LOTR and HP.

    And Howl's Moving Castle is just perfect. I liked it better than the book, actually. You should check out the other Studio Ghibli films.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts