Friday Memes and 'It's About Love' by Steven Camden

It's Friday, I'm applying for a new passport today and we voted yesterday! Elections are fascinating, especially when the British host a special, alternative coverage throughout the whole night. I am tired and extremely disappointed in the result though!

Anyway, on to the memes! Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee. This week's question was suggested by So Many Books, So Little Time:

How do you decide what books to read?

That blog name is basically part of my answer. There are soo many books out there and I don't have time to actually read all of them. Knowing I will never be able to read everything, I decided a year or so ago that I would only read books I really wanted to read. If I want to read it, I will read it. Last week we talked about reading slumps and I don't really suffer from them because I only have books waiting for me I want to read!

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. This week's question was suggested by Elizabeth from Silver's Reviews:

If you had a chance to read a book or watch a movie that is not about a book you have read, which would you choose?

Ok, this is a very interesting questions, mainly because I'm not quite sure what it's about. I'm interpreting it as, would I rather read a book or watch an original film. I love reading, so most days I will be choosing to read, of course. On the other hand, evenings can be a great time to watch films and just relax. Especially if a film is "original" rather than an adaptation, I'm interested. So I'd  say it's about 60/40 in favour of me reading a book.

This week I'm using a book which I can't wait to start reading! This book is It's About Love by Steven Camden. Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted, respectively, Gilion over at Rose City Reader and Freda over at Freda's Voice.
Real life is messier than the movies. A bold, thought-provoking novel from the exceptionally talented, Steven Camden.
He’s Luke. She’s Leia. 
Just like in Star Wars. Just like they’re made for each other. Same film studies course, different backgrounds, different ends of town.
Only this isn’t a film. This is real life. This is where monsters from the past come back to take revenge. This is where you are sometimes the monster. And where the things we build to protect us, can end up doing the most harm…

BB:
'EXT. - DAYDiagonal rain.
I'm standing under the bus shelter outside the crappy little shopping arcade. I'm wearing my battered blue hand-me-down Carhartt, but I'm gonna get soaked walking up the hill.' p.4
I like the way Camden is using script-lingo, it really makes the beginning of It's About Love different from the other books I've read recently. Not quite sure how I feel about the first-person narration though. Also, this beginning isn't really giving me a lot to go on.


F56:
'"All right, easy Skywalker." She's looking at me now and I read the word RUSHMORE at the top of her page.' p.56
I love the fact that this book is sort of about Star Wars, but also not. And throwing in Mt. Rushmore because why not. I think this book will probably be a lot of fun.

So, that was my Friday! How do you decide on what to read? And is there anything you've never read a book about that you'd love to read about?

Comments

  1. Hi Juli,
    I agree that the BB isn't much to go on, but it sounds like it has possibilities :) I like the sound of a Star Wars (almost) themed book, it could get very interesting! Lots of potential there.
    Happy reading,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely hoping for lots of potential ;) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Nice! That's pretty much how I operate! I read the books I want to read. Though that number is huge too! Review books get priority though. And they're ones I want to read but there are times when I really just want to abandon them and return to my TBR Mountain, but I'm almost caught up with review books, so soon I tell myself. Soon!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to have most of my TBR books on my review books list as well, but it's close to impossible sometimes! Soon! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. The excerpts do "tease" me, though, and I definitely want to know more. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also intrigued enough to get started soon! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. I totally agree that I'll only read books I really want to read. Which tends to get me in trouble with ARCs... Because I request them when I want to read them, and by the time I'm approved I don't necessarily want to read them anymore... Oops!

    Here's my F&F!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God, I thought I was the only one who felt like that! I'll be sitting here today, extremely excited about a book, and once I get it just not be interested at all! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  5. It's great that you don't suffer from reading slumps! Somehow there are just times that I get really lazy, even when I have interesting books waiting for me to read!

    Have a great weekend :)

    New follower via Bloglovin'
    Fathomless Reveries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get really lazy at times, which makes me feel terrible in case there's a great book waiting for me! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this title--sounds refreshingly creative--and like a book I'd enjoy.

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/05/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings.html

    BTW, listened to the BBC news hour this morning (my local public radio station carries it every morning) and heard the results of the elections. Very interesting developments going on in Scotland. (My mother was born there, so it's on my radar screen. I was in London last year a week before the secession vote.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fascinating what's happening in Scotland but it's a shame that we ended up with a Conservative government because of it! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  7. I have reading slumps sometimes too, so I try to sit back and really read what I want. New follower via Bloglovin'. http://angreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you really want to read a book, you'll find your way back to it at some point! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  8. I always ask my sister what new book she is reading and go from there.
    At the moment I am working on promoting my own book I don't get time to read as much
    New Follower :)
    http://pavankaur83.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah I'm too stubborn to take recommendations sometimes! Aah if you need a blog to spotlight your book, let me know! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  9. That's such a goos approach to reading! I like to make sure that I always read books that interest me and that I think I'm going to like too. New Bloglovin follower :)
    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the best way to go about choosing anything! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  10. I agree. The time of day also makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about that but it reaalllyy does! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  11. Sort of like Star Wars? That has me intrigued.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite sure yet how much like Star Wars, but definitely a little bit! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  12. The past always has a way of coming back, doesn't it? Any possibility there's a Han Solo in this novel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely hope so! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  13. That is a really good idea Juli! Thank you for stopping by. :)
    Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you are very wise in your being very picky with what you read. I'm leaning towards that philosophy now. Time is short, why waste it on books that only seem meh to me?

    Your Star Wars reference is a *tad* late :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that's the first time that word has been applied to me! It's good to try new things but if you know it's probably not going to work for you, why not choose something you'll love! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  15. I read a lot of ARCs and books that authors send me because I have been surprised in the past by things that I didn't think I'd like or didn't know about. So I do like to read things that I might not like and push my boundaries. But, you're right. I do get in slumps sometimes! A couple mediocre books in a row is really disappointing.

    My FF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also been surprised by books which is why I try to step out of my literary comfort zone every once in a while! I hate reading 'meh' book after 'meh' book, it makes me despair xD Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing! I try to do the same. New follower via GFC & Bloglovin'! :)

    Castles Made of Books

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great answer!! My problem is I want to REALLY read them all Lol
    Following on Bloglovin' & GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha true, there's just this desire every book lover has to at least try to read them all! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  18. Awesome Book Beginnings and 56 I never heard about this book and it does sound like a really fun read! Thanks for stopping by my blog have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it sounds really fun as well, just hope the book improves a bit on the teasers! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  19. I think it is awesome that you don't suffer from book slumps! I feel like all the ARCs I am accepting are putting me in a slump. Sigh. I don't want to say no to an author sometimes, but if the summary sounds enjoyable, I'll agree to read and review. Now I'm regretting it! How do you nicely tell an author you want to abandon reading their book because you just don't like it? Sigh!! I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings!


    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think book bloggers feel bad about saying no. If I find myself unable to read a book, I sometimes send an email saying I am incredibly busy with university (which is always the truth) and then offer them a spotlight post. Who knows, maybe in half a year you'll pick the book up again! But your review will be negative when you're feeling negative already! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  20. Me too on reading a book instead of watching a movie.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are simply magical! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  21. Hi Juli! I’ve been thinking about changing the way I approach books recently, and your answer more than cleared the fog I’ve found myself in these past couple of days. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic :)

    I would much rather read a book as opposed to watching a film too, I just find much more fulfillment in allowing my imagination to take me places I can only dream of :)

    Gah! It might surprise you to know that I am not a Star Wars fan, but I’m glad you’re enjoying It’s About Love!

    Claudia @ My Soul Called Life

    ReplyDelete
  22. That book sounds unique! And I love that you only read books YOU want to read; not what you are expected to read.That's a great philosophy :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a good idea to only take on what you "want" to read. I really should use that philosophy too. Old bloglovin follower.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts