Friday Memes and Bushnell's 'Killing Monica'

Alison Can Read Feature & FollowIt's Friday and it is my last ever Friday in Nottingham, which is slightly sad! The three years I spent here doing a Bachelor, working, meeting people etc. are over and, although I'm excited to start a new part of my life in St. Andrews, it's bittersweet to go. But let's leave my emotions behind for a second and focus on the memes!

Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee. This week's question was suggested by A Kernel of Nonsense:

What is your favourite movie?


Good question! I really love watching films, almost as much as I love reading books. I am incredibly picky when it comes to films as well though. When you ask me what my favourite one is I will always start thinking because, for me, there are a few films which are simply outside of choice. I will always, I repeat, always, choose Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter saga over anything else. That doesn't mean I don't like other films, I will just always love them the most. But below is a list of films I absolutely love which everyone should watch:
  • Pan's Labyrinth - Guillermo del Toro
  • Das Leben der Anderen - Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck (great name, no?)
  • The Bridge to Terabithia - Gabor Csupo
  • Beauty & the Beast - Gary Trousdale
  • Spirited Away - Hayao Miyazaki
  • Pacific Rim - Guillermo del Toro (see a pattern here?)
  • Imitation of Life - Douglas Sirk
I'm going to leave it at that because I have a feeling this list could go on for a very long time!

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gillion at Rose City Reader and Freda at Freda's Voice respectively. This week I'm using Killing Monica by Candace Bushnell. I haven't read anything else by her so I'm excited to see how this one will work out for me! I definitely know I love the cover though, just look at it!

Pub. Date: 23/06/2015
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
In KILLING MONICA Bushnell spoofs and skewers her way through pop culture, celebrity worship, fame, and even the meaning of life itself, when a famous writer must resort to faking her own death in order to get her life back from her most infamous creation--Monica. With her trademark wit and style, KILLING MONICA is Bushnell's sharpest, funniest book to date.
The quotes below are from the ARC copy so may appear different, or at different places, in the final version.


BB:
'IT WAS SUMMER, and Monica was everywhere again.
She was there, in the supermarket, on the rack of tabloids between displays of candy and sugarless gum at the checkout counter. And there, on the side of the bus kiosk. And there, on the cover of the fashion magazines in the salon. She was all over the morning shows, recommending what to wear, store, or toss from your summer wardrobe. She was with you in the backseat of the taxi, on the screen in front of your knees, telling you where to go, what to see, and what to buy. Selling, always selling. But mostly, what she was selling was happiness.' p.1
I really like the beginning, the way Bushnell drops you straight into the main character's mindset. I do wonder when she created Monica and why?

F56:
'They laughed the whole way through the long, long drive up the coast, stopping for fried clams and Bloody Marys, screaming profanities out the window at other drivers—“Asshat!” “Asswipe!”—and even talking their way out of a speeding ticket.' p.56
This is the kind of road trip I want to have! Hours in a car, an amazing view at the same time, completely letting go and just driving. However, I'm not a bit fan of drinking and driving, so I think the Bloody Mary's would have to wait until we got to a motel or something. But talking my way out of a speeding ticket is definitely something I want to do one day.

So, what are your favourite films? Do you have any set favourites like I do? And have you read a Candance Bushnell book?

Comments

  1. I've never read a Candace Bushnell book but, of course, I watched Sex and The City on TV. Killing Monica sounds like a funny story.
    Thanks for the list of film suggestions!
    My Friday post features The Collected Stories of Eudora Welty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by her and I'm not really familiar with her at all, but this sounds like it could be really funny! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pan's Labyrinth was good! Interesting. New follower =)
    Nette's Novel Notes FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of Candace Bushnell's books but she is definitely on my TBR. This one looks really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover immediately made me think of a TV show, but, drat, can't remember which one. This is going to follow me all day. LOL
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping through. I do love the Harry Potter movies. I haven't seen all the LOTR movies. I really need to.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun road trip. Haven't been on one like this in many years.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/07/24/the-friday-56-70-fudging-the-books-by-daryl-wood-gerber/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spirited Away in a wonderful film! I really enjoyed Pacific Rim too, though my friends were cursing me for making them sit through it, everyone else in the group seemed to hate it.

    New GFC follower!

    Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always sad to leave a place you have been for a while, but now you begin a new chapter.
    Killing Monica is on my wishlist. I love the Carrie books she writes.
    I added you to the Linky! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Juli,

    You might need to pack a few warmer clothes, but being in St. Andrews is going to be an amazing experience I'm sure!

    I don't tend to read much in the way of satire or 'funny' stories, so this isn't one that would probably interest me and I have to confess that I never really followed 'Sex In The City' either!

    The opening lines do fire you up though and set you off at a break neck pace, right into the story.

    Similarly with films - I don't tend to watch too many and when I do, it is generally hubbie who decides, as he is the film fanatic. Therefore by default, I tend to know more about the action / thriller films, than anything else.

    I hope that the move goes well and that you still find the time to visit on-line :)

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love them all.. Do check out my FF: http://bookstopcorner.blogspot.in/2015/07/feature-follow-18-my-favorite-movies.html

    Old Follower:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good book beginning! I like the very last part of it, "but mostly, what she was selling was happiness" that part's really sweet!
    Have a great day,
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you watched Akira Kurosawa's Dreams? I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm torn on Killing Monica. I haven't put it on the TBR list because I've seen so many mixed reviews on it. That start and F56 though make it sounds good! Will you be reviewing it?

    I'm not a big movie watcher unless it's animated and my favorite changes nearly weekly. Right now, it's a tie between Brave and Minions.

    My Friday 56 is from The Season of Salt & Honey by Hannah Tunnicliffe: http://www.foofynotfoofy.com/foofynotfoofy/2015/7/24/the-friday-56-season-of-salt-and-honey-by-hannah-tunnicliffe

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I'll have to look for this one. Sounds hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts