Friday Memes and a Haunting

Alison Can Read Feature & Follow
It's Friday and it's almost the end of August. Why does time seem to go so fast? There is seriously no need for September to already be happening! Before I start procrastinating about the idea of time, let's get our meme on! Feature and Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee and this week's question was suggested by Journey Through Fiction:

Share a random quote from the book you are currently reading!

I'm reading Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities on the down-low next to everything else so I thought it might be fun to share a quote from his book.

'If you choose to believe me, good. Now I will tell how Ovctavia, the spider-web city, is made. There is a precipice between two steep mountains: the city is over the void, bound to the two crests with ropes and chains and catwalks. You walk on the little wooden ties, careful not to set your foot in the open spaces, or you cling to the hempen strands. Below there is nothing for hundreds and hundreds of feet: a few clouds glide past; farther down you can glimpse the chasm's bed.' p.67
I love the description of the city suspended above a void.

The Haunting of Hill House Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gilion over at Rose City Reader and Freda over at Freda's Voice respectively. This week I'm using The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, which I saw recently. I love Shirley Jackson so I thought it might be fun to share!

The classic supernatural thriller by an author who helped define the genre
First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a "haunting"; Theodora, his lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers—and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.
BB:
'No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.' p.1
Well, that is one hell of a beginning! Not only is the first opening line very suggestive of something going very wrong, the hint in 'whatever walked there' makes me think that there is something that will go very wrong.



F56:
'She shivered and sat up in bed to reach for the quilt at the foot. Then, half amused and half cold, she slipped out of bed and went, barefoot and silent, across the room to turn the key in the lock of the door; they won't know I locked it, she thought, and went hastily back to bed.' p.56
I wonder why she's amused! She is in a cold house, where she has to lock the door so 'they' can't get in! Who are they? It looks like within 56 pages quite a lot will happen.

So, that's me done for Friday! Does The Haunting of Hill House sound like your kind of book?

Comments

  1. I haven't read this, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks for sharing.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite excited to get started on it, I haven't read a good thriller in ages! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. The movie was good. I imagine she's amused because nothing bad has shown itself, YET!

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/08/28/the-friday-56-75-pokergeist/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg there was a movie of this? Well that's an extra inspiration to get on it with the reading! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this one because I'm not into scary books. I hope you are enjoying it. I'm finishing up an urban fantasy series this week with Total Eclipse by Rachel Caine. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to not read a lot of scary books so I'm trying to rediscover the genre for myself! Urban fantasy is also something I definitely want to read more of. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. I never really ever considered reading The Haunting of Hill House until now. I like your new header. Very creative.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just discovered the existence of the book but I'm thinking it's gonna be a good one. I'm glad you like the header, it took a surprising amount of time! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  5. I like "WHATEVER walked there," as opposed to "WHOEVER walked there." Makes me think of ghosts and other non-human creatures. I'm not a fan of horror stories or other scary books, but this sounds like a good one.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG
    My Friday post features Taming Jenna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the small words that can make a big difference! I have a feeling that it's going to be really good! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  6. I'm not into horror movies or books. My husband and child, though are all about the spooky. But I bet she won't be amused if it makes her "one of its own".

    New Bloglovin' follower

    Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although horror isn't really my thing thrillers definitely are! I agree, I don't think she'll like that! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  7. Hi - I agree. The 'whatever walked there' line makes me feel like this is the big deal; this is what the reader is to watch for in this story. :) Enjoy!
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, and it's so subtly done! It's going to be good, I feel! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  8. Hi - I agree. The 'whatever walked there' line makes me feel like this is the big deal; this is what the reader is to watch for in this story. :) Enjoy!
    @dino0726 from 
    FictionZeal - Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Calvino book looks wonderful -- I've never read any of his work. Meanwhile, your 56 makes me wonder. Nothing can get me out of bed when it's chilly ;) Enjoy your weekend, Juli :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calvino is a great author, definitely try his books out some time! Same, why get out of bed when it's cold? ;) Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  10. I have been curious about this book for a long while...thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    Did you change your look here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the teasers entice you to check it out! I did change my look, new header and background! I hope you like it! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  11. That beginning terrifies you from wanting to go to Hill House, that's for sure.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does! I wouldn't just go there, that's for sure! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  12. I still haven't read this but I want to! I'm also curious about why she's amused; I hope she can remain that way as that's better than terrified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh please read it with me so I don't have to be scared on my own :P If the main character remains amused than maybe I won't have to be scared either! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  13. Hi,
    Sounds really spooky and scary. Thanks for stopping by
    my place. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely expecting to be spooked but I'm sort of hoping I won't be too scared! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Juli,

    "You walk on the little wooden ties, careful not to set your foot in the open spaces, or you cling to the hempen strands." .... This reminded me of my childhood and a game we always used to play, of not stepping on the joins in the pavement .... Thanks for the memory :)

    I have never come across author Shirley Jackson before, however this does sound like my kind of book .... "and whatever walked there, walked alone." .... not 'whoever walked there' then ... very intriguing!

    Thanks for sharing and Happy Reading :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Calvino brought back some fond memories, his writing is amazing that way! I first read Shirley Jackson when my teacher made us read her short story 'The Lottery', which is horrifying but amazing! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  15. I really need to read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really do give it a try! I don't want to be the only one scared :P Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  16. Wow! What a beginning! I totally agree. It sounds like the book will be quite heavy going and full of mystery :D x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts